Which flavor cake do you prefer?

Friday, April 15, 2011

Virgin Post..... popping the blog cherry folks

So today I started a blog for the very first time.  Convenient little thing cause I love to hear myself talk!  I actually have no clue how to do this but I am about to learn!

Ok so I bake cakes.  I decorate them and I try to do it well. I will be displaying my cakes here and hopefully filling my blogs with comical relief as I attempt my masterpieces.  Believe me cake decorating especially at home, after working full time and going to school full time with a child watching and shaking the table is full of mishaps that you can laugh at later....

Allow me to start with my cake I am actually working on currently...

I got a call from a wonderful woman who lives across the street from me asking me to do a cross cake for her nephews christening.  She knows it is short notice but needs it for Friday at 5:30.  Of course I can do it because quite honestly, she is a wonderful person, I happen to really like her and wouldn't you know it... I need the money....

Wednesday... I get above email.  I say yes and then realize I am working overtime at my job for next two days.  That means I will be working from 7 am to 6 pm plus traveling home from the city.  I have to buy supplies after work and start working on cake along with completing my daughter’s homework.  Awesome... I do all above activities plus shower and bathe myself and my daughter.  I tried to sleep however the dog insistently barked at nothing 15 minutes after I fell asleep.  Thank God because I am an insomniac and now I was able to get two hours of sleep and was up at 6 to go to work again for another 11 hours. 

Thursday...  Work 11 hours... Start second part of cake, get it in oven.  Finish daughter’s homework with her and complete Easter bonnet hat that is required for school the next day.  Scarfed down a quick bowl of cereal (My mother thankfully fed my daughter and took her to soccer while I was working overtime) and my daughter took a shower and then I did.  Put her to bed and went downstairs to continue working on cake.

Where things started to go haywire....
Ok so I initially just made a cross cake, however I realized it would only feed 16 people and I would need to have a serving size for at least 25.  I made a sheet cake to go underneath which would up my servings.  The sheet cake I baked, hoping and praying would be a thick enough sheet cake (C'mon I know better) was not... I baked another sheet cake.  Wouldn't you know it, upon flipping cake that I did not cool completely (Can I say I know better again?) it broke off a little bit.  I fixed it with icing.   However now I used more icing than I planned for and now I have to make new icing along with a cake that still needs to have another coat of icing and still be decorated...  I said to hell with it, I’ll leave work early tomorrow and finish the cake...

Well its Friday morning kids!  I woke afresh and was able to laugh at my mistakes of the last few days.  I will be leaving work in a little bit... Wish me luck!!!

2 comments:

  1. Well I hopr you finished the cake!!! Congrats on your blog...something to add to your laundry list of business! :O: Good LUCK!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! Post pics of the cake..Congrats on the new blog! I am sure you will do great!

    ReplyDelete